Pages

Monday 7 October 2013

Going Cold Feet - an Interview with Sarah Louise Smith



Sarah Louise Smith was here earlier this year to talk about her first novel, Amy & Zach and I’m very pleased to have her back for another chat.

Hallo Sarah, and welcome again to the blog. Since the first time you visited, you have published your second novel, Izzy’s Cold Feet. Tell us a little more about the book.

Thank you for having me back again Michela! Izzy’s Cold Feet starts one week before Izzy’s wedding day, and, as the title suggests, she has cold feet. She’s not sure about her fiancé and keeps thinking about the men she loved before she met him. She then takes the reader on a journey through her past relationships, analysing each one. By the time her wedding day comes, she’s even more confused that ever. In addition, her sister went missing a child, so there’s some additional mystery there.

Amy & Zach followed two people coming from different cultures and was mainly set in Boston, a city you got to know through your work. What are the settings for the new book and why did you choose them?

Most of Izzy’s Cold Feet is set in London, where Izzy lives. I chose London as I could picture Izzy living there, moving around over the years the novel spans. She also visits several places on her travels including France, Switzerland and Italy – the places she goes to are all holiday spots I’ve enjoyed.


In Amy & Zach we had a lost father, in Izzy’s Cold Feet, a missing sister. Estranged/broken families appear to be a recurrent theme. Is family important to you?

Yes... I have a very large family, lots of cousins, step-families, in-laws... Many of my family are also close friends. So I suppose that’s why families and the issues they bring feature heavily.

Which of your characters do you identify mostly with, Amy or Izzy?

Both, a little. Probably Izzy more. I think Amy is quite selfish at times and perhaps represents a younger version of myself. Izzy over analyses everything, which I tend to do. I like and dislike traits in them both.

In the new novel, Izzy has not just one, but four love interests! What makes the perfect chick-lit hero, in your opinion? Have you got a favourite?

He’s not strictly chick-lit (he’s way too posh!) but my favourite romantic hero is Mr Darcy as I’m a huge Jane Austen fan. I also really enjoy the heros in all of Paige Toon’s books – she makes them sound so alluring and charming, even though they have their faults, too. I guess a hero needs to be romantic, funny, kind, handsome...

Last time we chatted, you told me you love cooking and experimenting. Is that a theme you might like to explore in a romantic setting, perhaps?

Funnily enough, Jason, one of the men in Izzy’s Cold Feet, is a Michelin star chef, so there’s a piece of my own interest shining through! I’d quite like to write more about food in my books and the one I’m writing now my protagonist is a keen cook (as is Izzy... do you see a theme?!)

So, what’s next for you, in terms of writing?

I’m writing my third novel. Progress is slow, I’m taking my time with it a bit but I think it’s going alright so far.

Finally, a few random questions:

-         Tea or coffee?  
      Neither. Water!
-         Paperbacks or e-books?  
      E-books (my 25 year old self would hate me)
-         City or country?  
      Country, always.
-         Home or Away?  
      Away, usually.
-         Who would play you in a film about your life?  
      Ooh...someone gorgeous... Zooey Deschanel. I have a girl crush on her.
-         What’s your desert island book? And record?   
      Pride & Prejudice and Shine by Take That (I can hear you cringing Michela, haha!)
-         If you could go back to any time and place, what would it be?  
      I’d go and meet my hero, Jane Austen.
-         “My favourite item of clothing is…”  
       my pink pyjamas
-         “I couldn’t live without…”  
       my husband... my dog a close second ;)
-         “My favourite quote is…”
 “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, or to worry about the future, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.” – Buddha.


Thanks for chatting to me, Sarah, and best of luck with Izzy’s Cold Feet. Look forward to seeing you again for your next book! 

Thanks for having me!
***

 Sarah Louise Smith lives in Milton Keynes, UK, with her husband, two cute cats and a loopy golden retriever. She has an extremely lovely step-daughter and spends most of her free time writing, reading, cooking, and taking long walks.
She’s the author of two chick-lit novels: Amy & Zach and Izzy’s Cold Feet, both published by Crooked Cat. Read Sarah’s blog at: www.sarahlouisesmith.com.

You can find Sarah on Facebook and Twitter


  Izzy’s Cold Feet
  
One bride to be. Three ex-boyfriends.
Izzy is engaged to Greg, who is everything a girl could want.
The trouble is – all she can think about is the men she loved before she met him: 
sexy Ewan, the first love of her life; 
dependable Jason, who loved her more than she deserved; 
and irresistible Dexter, who broke her heart…
Then there’s the fact that her sister has been missing since Izzy was twelve. 
After such a traumatic childhood all Izzy wants is a normal, happy, settled life, 
but love is never simple.
In the week leading up to her wedding day, Izzy is forced to ask herself who she loves the most. 
And, given the choice, who would she want to spend her life with?

You can purchase the paperback or e-versions from all the usual online book sellers


 Sarah's first novel, Amy & Zach can be purchased at Amazon UK - Amazon US







No comments:

Post a Comment